Skip to content Skip to menu
Main Menu

Transfer Credit

Undergraduate Coursework

All courses completed with a regionally accredited institution with a grade of “C” or higher that are normally considered part of an associate or bachelor degree program will transfer to the University of the Incarnate Word. The cumulative grade point average at UIW is based upon all hours attempted, regardless of the grade earned, and to include both transfer and UIW credits. Some transfer work may not apply toward degree requirements. Acceptance of transfer work does not reduce institutional requirements (e.g. residency, advanced hours, etc.) .

Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities, regardless of whether credit was awarded or whether credits apply toward the current program, must be submitted for admission to the University of the Incarnate Word. Students who fail to meet this admission requirement will not be permitted to enroll for future semesters until all required transcripts are received.

Credit submitted for transfer to the University of the Incarnate Word must be recorded on an official transcript received directly from the institution where the credit was earned. Once submitted for admission or transfer consideration, the transcript becomes the property of the University of the Incarnate Word and cannot be released back to the student. The transfer of course credit will be determined by the Office of the Registrar on a course-by-course basis. Course content will be determined from the catalog description or the course syllabus issued by the transferring institution.

Detailed information regarding transfer credit at the undergraduate level is available in the UIW Undergraduate Catalog under Transfer of University Work.

Graduate Coursework

A minimum of 24 credit hours of courses for the Master’s Degree must be taken at the University of the Incarnate Word. Students who have previously completed graduate course work at other regionally accredited institutions may transfer a maximum of twelve credit hours toward the degree. Transferred units must come from courses which are equivalent to those required by the UIW degree, or which are closely related so as to transfer as elective units. Credit hours cannot be transferred if they were previously used to satisfy a degree program, nor can they be used to satisfy more than one program. The number of credit hours may vary from program to program.

Transfer credit is allowed only for courses with a grade of “B” or better. Credit hours normally taken in the undergraduate program may not be transferred as graduate credit. Normally, graduate transfer credit which is more than seven years old may not be used to complete a degree.

Detailed information regarding transfer credit at the graduate level is available in the UIW Graduate Catalog under Transfer of Credit.

Admissions Event

Attend a free 1-hr Admissions Event for Adults on Tuesday, Oct. 24 at 6:30 p.m. Learn about UIW's degrees and benefits tailored to busy adults.

RSVP Now or Learn More

Apply and Register

SPS & SAS Spring I terms start January 6
Application deadline: Dec. 31

Email us to get started or apply today!

Registration is now available

Military Friendly

University of the Incarnate Word is proud to be a 2016 "Military Friendly" University and Best for Vets. No proctored exams and full credit for military service.

View our awards

Info Session Webinars

Watch on-demand Info Session webinars

Learn about our military benefits, degree programs, admissions and more.

View available webinars