University of the Incarnate Word
Founded in 1881 by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, UIW provides a high quality education to students pursuing academic degrees in more than 40 of today's high in-demand undergraduate programs while carrying on the original Mission of the Sisters. The University of the Incarnate Word is a Catholic institution that welcomes to its community persons of diverse backgrounds, in the belief that their respectful interaction advances the discovery of truth, mutual understanding, self-realization, and the common good.
The University is committed to educational excellence in a context of faith in Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Word of God. It promotes life-long learning and fosters the development of the whole person. The faculty and students support one another in the search for and the communication of truth. The University is open to thoughtful innovation that serves ever more effectively the spiritual and material needs of people. The curriculum offers students an integrated program of liberal arts and professional studies that includes a global perspective and an emphasis on social justice and community service.
School of Professional Studies
The University of the Incarnate Word (UIW) provides educational opportunities for active-duty military who need to earn a college degree. UIW offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees in both traditional and non-traditional formats.
UIW welcomes all service members and their families, and appreciates those serving to protect the rights and freedoms of our country. We are active members of GoArmyEd, Servicemembers Opportunity College Degree Network, and Air University Associate to Baccalaureate Cooperative (AU-ABC) programs and proud to participate in several collaborative programs with the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC). We understand your unique needs and we are committed to being military-friendly.
There are three centers in San Antonio and one in Corpus Christi for those students interested in taking classes in a classroom during evenings, nights or weekends. Classes are also available 100% online asynchronously for students who need extra flexibility in their class schedule or living in a remote area. The School of Professional Studies also offers personal development opportunities for professionals needing continuing education and/or who want to earn a certificate to reach their career goals.
To provide educational excellence to diverse populations through programs that foster the development of every stakeholder to achieve their goals.
We believe in:
- God, our creator and divine savior
- Dignity and worth of every person’s unique abilities
- Cultural diversity that enriches the learning experience of all students
- Learning as a lifelong process, which includes the continuing development of honesty, integrity and moral values
- Superior customer service, individual accountability and enthusiastic team work
- An environment that encourages open communication, celebrates individual achievements, and strives to exceed expectations.
- Education: The University educates men and women who will become concerned and enlightened citizens.
- Truth: The faculty and students support one another in the search for the communication of truth.
- Faith: The university is committed to educational excellence in a context of faith in Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Word of God.
- Service: The curriculum includes a global perspective and an emphasis on social justice and community service.
- Innovation: The university is open to thoughtful innovation that serves the spiritual and material needs of people.
The University of the Incarnate Word (UIW) is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. The first Sisters, three young French women motivated by the love of God and their recognition of God's presence in each person, came to San Antonio in 1869 to minister to the victims of a cholera epidemic. Today, their ministries in healthcare, education, elder care, and assistance to women and children make a difference in the communities and lives touched through their collective charism. Their spirit of Christian service is perpetuated in the University of the Incarnate Word primarily through teaching and scholarship. Inspired by Judeo-Christian values, the University aims to educate men and women who will become concerned and enlightened citizens.
The history of the University of the Incarnate Word begins in 1900 with the establishment of the Academy of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, Texas. As an extension of the mission of the Sisters of Charity, the core values of UIW’s mission are faith, service, innovation, truth and education. A historically Hispanic serving institution (HSI), UIW is committed to providing educational opportunities to a diverse population of students that spans from the United States, to China and on to Mexico.